Tuesday, July 8, 2008

so you say...?

What a difference a support group can make!  Even before the meeting on Sunday night I was able to gain control of eating.  What was the change?  For me it was the accountability. Knowing that others would be counting on me to walk the walk and talk the talk.  Now I have to do what I say.  
But there was a time in my life that my words didn't match my actions.  There was a time I didn't take my words seriously.  I thought nothing of starting the day saying to myself that today would be the day I would do something about my health.  Today would be the day that I would exercise or eat right.  Today I would look at myself with love and compassion.  All this played over and over in my head before I got up to face the day.  Then it all changed by the time I hit the shower.  Somewhere from my bed to the shower the record was switched.  All the promises, all the good intentions flew out the window in a flash.  It was back to the same old record playing in my head (self talk) of how bad I looked or how I've let myself go.  The self talk could very, depending on my mood.  If I woke up feeling okay with myself it wasn't to bad but if I woke up not okay, it was a struggle.  There were times that if I wasn't berating myself, I was thinking about the food I had to look forward to.  It was exciting to think about the food I could drown my sorrows in!  Food changed my mood in no time but only temporarily.  I could be excited, happy go lucky and ready to meet the day till...it hit.  The anger and frustration of not being able to control myself.  This is damaging self talk.   Are you aware of the damage you're doing?    

4 comments:

Jenny said...

That is interesting about not taking yourself at your word. I have never thought about that. If I tell someone else that I am going to do something I make every effort to do so. But with myself I can easily be talked out of my good intentions.

Anonymous said...

Bec and crew - I admire you ladies for taking a communal approach to health and wholeness. God bless and reward your efforts!

Becky said...

jen, what i say in my head is just as important as what comes out of my mouth. God wants it all the match. thoughts and actions.

i love you!
mom

Becky said...

charlton, you're are such an encouragement! Thanks!

Bec